Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Orichiette with Spinach, Shrimp and Garlic Chips


Have I mentioned my undying love for garlic? If not, you should know that garlic is on the top of my list of favorite ingredients and that I have yet to to try a dish that I think is too garlic-y. Sure, raw garlic is a bit of a different ball game, but when it's cooked I love it in almost any savory dish.

In the current Valentine's day spirit I'm not sure that garlic is the most favored flavor but in my case, if you want to be my Valentine, the more garlic the better. Lucky for me, I share most of my time with someone who loves garlic just as much as I do. Just this past weekend, Oliver and I made garlic and lemon chicken with an herb and roasted garlic sauce. Roasted garlic gives garlic cloves a sweet and almost nutty taste - it's amazing. We made an extra head of garlic and munched on the extra cloves while touching up the sauce.

I realize that this might make me a little strange, but we all have our obsessive food habits, don't we? The garlic in this pasta concoction really made the dish. This pasta dish was another one of those meals I didn't really mean to make a post out of but couldn't resist once I saw the finished product sitting on the table. It was simple and the perfect quick lunch.

Recipe (for 2)
Orichiette for 2
10 shrimp
4 garlic cloves
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
A good handful of fresh baby spinach
Juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
In the meantime peel the garlic and slice it into even-sized garlic chips. Add a good drizzle of olive oil to a pan on medium low heat and add the garlic. Allow the garlic to flavor the oil and turn a light shade of golden brown. Add the peeled shrimp to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat to medium. As soon as the shrimp turns pink in color add the spinach and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the drained pasta to the pan (with about 1 teaspoon of pasta water) and stir. Taste and adjust seasoning.Serve immediately with a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!

25 comments:

veggie belly said...

Orrichiette is a great choice for a simple, light pasta dish. Love your photo and the bowl!

The Food Librarian said...

This look so delicious. I'm hungry now!

Elyse said...

Mmm, I wish I had just had this for dinner. It looks refreshing and fabulous!

Cakebrain said...

Oh, the Orecchiette look so cute! It's my daughter's favourite shape. Of course, she calls them "ears"! Looks yummy!

pigpigscorner said...

This recipe is so simple yet full of wonderful flavours! Delicious.

Patricia Scarpin said...

This looks delicious and I love your photo!

Anonymous said...

This is my kind of meal. I'm a true garlic lover and this sounds delicious. I love that it's simple to prepare too. Great dish.

Dee said...

Oh, this looks so good. We can never have too much garlic at our home :)

MaryBeth said...

This looks so light and delish!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Nope, you're not strange at all. I love garlic, too & add some if only a little bit to every savory dish I make.(except breakfast:-)
Everytime I open my jar of minced garlic my youngest comes running to try & sniff at it,proclaiming it one of the yummiest smells.
~ingrid

Nurit "1 family. friendly. food." said...

Orichiette is my favorite pasta. And I love garlic too. Roasting it solves the garlic breath problem... when you're having a romantic dinner even if it's with a garlic lover.

Cynthia said...

I'm inviting myself over!

Liliana said...

I also love garlic and fortunately so does my family.

This is a dish my family will love! You certainly have an interesting blog! I have added your link to my blog!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Liliana: Thank you and I'm happy to see you share my love of garlic!

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

Very delicious looking indeed - certainly not the kind of thing I'd have thought to cook had I not seen your great recipe.

Deborah said...

I'm with you - I love garlic, and love it in practically everything!

vanillasugarblog said...

I have a deep love for garlic too! And you used (and use) it perfectly.
So good!

Beachlover said...

your pasta really look delious!! simple yet so elegant!

Peter M said...

I heart garlic too! Orecchiette and shrimp look good together.

Irene said...

I just stumbled onto your blog - absolutely love it! Great recipes, and what photos!

Mandy said...

I LOVE garlic! I have to add it to everything I cook. The orecchiette looks like something I can whip up really fast after class!

Anonymous said...

This sounds simple and lovely. I recently found a recipe for orrechiete that I've been meaning to try - when I do I'd love to incorporate it into this recipe.

Anonymous said...

Wow really good effort here. I love garlic too. There's a restaurant here in LA called the Stinking Rose dedicated to it!

I'm gonna try to add this to my regular list of pasta recipes.

Chocolate Shavings said...

Sara: I've heard about that place! There's one in San Francisco too, right? A garlic themed meal seems perfect to me!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, check out the website: http://www.thestinkingrose.com/

Never been to the one in SF though :-(

Blog Widget by LinkWithin