Monday, June 17, 2013

Halloumi, Asparagus and Watermelon Salad

Putting together healthy, fast and satisfying weeknight meals may very well be the Achilles heels of most cooks. I spend the better part of my professional days developing recipes and coming up with easy dinner solutions for Canadian Living readers, but I do often come home with the eternal, almost cliche, "what's for dinner?" question. Having a meal plan is one of the ways to make sure I stay on track and plan balanced meals for the week. I'd be lying if I said I always stick to the plan (because what would the fun in that be?) but it does help to have a list and an idea of how to make the week efficient. Sometimes, the unplanned gets in the way (a sudden desire for a night-out or a last minute work event) but having an overarching plan does help.

Halloumi cheese is my current mid-week saviour. If you haven't tried the king of squeaky cheeses yet, I urge you to get some next time you're grocery shopping! It's pleasantly salty, holds its shape when cooked and, with ease, transforms everyday side salads into hearty mains.

I love combining the cheese with chunks of watermelon and seasonal asparagus at this time of year -- it takes minutes to put together and helps welcome summer with open arms.
Halloumi, Asparagus and Watermelon Salad
Serves 2
10 asparagus spears
5 slices of Halloumi cheese
2 cups chopped watermelon
2 cups Boston lettuce, torn
4 tsp olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Lemon wedges

Cook asparagus in large pot of boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes until tender crisp. Run under cold water to stop the cooking process and cool the asparagus. Set aside.

In nonstick pan over medium high heat, cook halloumi slices until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Arrange lettuce on bottom of platter. Top with asparagus, watermelon and halloumi,

In small bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice juice and pinch each of salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad and serve with lemon wedges. Enjoy!










10 comments:

Mr. & Mrs. P said...

Beautiful salad!!!!

La Table De Nana said...

Yes I need to get some..I love the way it grills..your grill marks..are perfect:-)
I used to use it a lot..must do again.

Jess @ Sweet Athena said...

This looks great. I love how there are not too many ingredients in this salad, sometimes to make a healthy meal it really does need to be simple on the grocery shopping side too. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Beautiful salad, I have to try grilling Halloumi cheese :-)

Patricia Scarpin said...

I love watermelon with feta, but haven't tried it with haloumi. Your salad looks amazing!

The Caked Crusader said...

I love halloumi - the squeakiness helps! Mr CC won't touch it - I suppose the texture is a bit love/hate.

Your presentation is beautiful

Jan @ Family Bites said...

This looks incredible...and your photos are SO lovely! Love the halloumi....

Jennifer Kendall said...

this is such a creative salad! love it!

Baking Addict said...

This sounds so refreshing and delicious! I'm slowly coming round to halloumi - wasn't too sure at first!

Joanne said...

I LOVE halloumi and it's saltiness paired with sweet watermelon sounds perfect!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin