Friday, August 2, 2013

Sumac Buttered Corn



Side dishes, by definition, most often don't get prime attention. Seasonal sweet corn, however, can quickly become the star of the show at this time of year. A little salt and butter usually suffices to dress it up, but this is a really easy to add a little more oomph.

I always have sumac on hand in my pantry. This red-toned Middle Eastern spice adds a good dose of lemony flavour and is now quite readily available. I like to add it to salad dressings, and often sprinkle a generous amount on grilled boneless chicken breast. In this case, I mixed it in with some melted butter. If you haven't cooked with sumac before, this is the perfect recipe to get you started!

Sumac Buttered Corn

4 cobs of corn
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp sumac
Pinch each salt and freshly ground pepper

Steam, or grill corn until tender. In small bowl, whisk together the butter, sumac, salt and pepper. Brush over warm corn. Enjoy!

13 comments:

Dana @ Simply Romanesco said...

I absolutely love corn!!! And I could easily eat this all day long :) Delicious!

Elyse Chatterton said...

You don't see to many recipes with sumac! I use it on salads and especially fattoush. Will try this one, thank you.

Kavey said...

How utterly weird.
Last weekend (the last one in July) I was thinking ahead to what to cook on the BBQ for this weekend and of course, corn on the cob always features.
And one night I dreamed about corn, melted butter and sprinkling sumac over it.
I've not done that before, so it was just an idea that came to me as I was drifted off to sleep.
AND HERE IT IS!
You read my dreams! :-)

SallyBR said...

What a nice twist on corn on the cob, love it! I have sumac but don't use it often enough, so this goes to my files to try very soon!

ChgoJohn said...

I've never thought to use sumac with corn. Thanks for sharing your idea.

Mr. & Mrs. P said...

Never used sumac before... Need to give it a try!!!

In and Around Town said...

I am not sure I have ever tried Sumac, but love the flavors you say it has - will have to give it a go!

donna baker said...

I have wondered how to use the sumac in my pantry. My corn is now ready to harvest and I will try it with sumac. Another sumac recipe ~ it grows wild around here and the old farmers make lemonade with the red berries. I tried it and it did taste like pink lemonade.

Chocolate Shavings said...

donna barker: The lemonade sounds great!

Deana Sidney said...

I know everyone is talking about it, but I just got the Jerusalem cookbook by Ottolenghi and made a tomato salad with sumac. Loved it... Must try it on corn!

CQUEK said...

looks irresistible!!!

Irina said...

I'm just learning how to cook with sumac. My boyfriend is Turkish and it is used a lot in Turkish cuisine. Never thought to use it on corn though. Good tip! It's also great in simple green salads and with meatballs.

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Yummy combination! I love Sumac. I have Sumac. And I can get corn.....must this!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin